The Township Manager
The Township Manager is the chief appointed executive and works directly with the Township Board and various departments of the Township. It is often stated and is the policy of Northfield Township that the Board of Trustees enacts policies of the Township, and the Manager carries out such directive. In general, it is the Manager's role to oversee the day to day administration of Northfield Township Government. The Manager’s Office is responsible for overseeing all departments that are not under statutory authority of an elected official. The most important duty of the Manager is to facilitate the flow and understanding of ideas and information between and among elected officials, employees, and citizens.
Specific duties are established by the Board for the Manager. Among these duties are the following:
- Ensure all Township ordinances are enforced equitably and consistently.
- Liaison with governments entities, citizens, attorneys and the press.
- Administer contracts between the Township and others.
- Attend all Township Board meetings providing key information to the Board. The Manager partakes in discussion but does not vote.
- Recommend to the Board various policies, procedures and ordinances.
- Be an ex-officio member of all Boards and Committees of the Township.
- Prepare and administer the annual Township budget under state law.
- Be responsible to the Board to provide research and administration of their work.
- Administer personnel policies for all appointed employees.
- Develop and administer operational procedures to increase efficiency and/or reduce costs.
- Perform other duties as directed by ordinance or resolution of the Board.
Assistant to the Township Manager, Jennifer Carlisle
Phone: (734) 449-2880 ext. 18
Fax: (734) 449-0123