Community Park Design Open Comment
The Northfield Township Parks & Recreation Board held an Open House on Thursday, December 16 for discussion of the upcoming Community Park's preliminary design. The Community Park will be located on the township-owned parcel located to the north and to the west of the Whitmore Lake Post Office. The preliminary design review and design plans can be viewed here.
We are currently in Phase 1 of the development of the Community Park.
General Scope of Work – Phase 1:
- Develop park design and updated master plan, beginning with previous planning efforts
- Develop plans for trail connections between North Village and Whitmore Lake North carpool lot: and between river walk in Jennings Rd. Athletic Complex and Barker Rd.
- Conduct public input sessions to receive/share information and build consensus
General Scope of Work – Phase 2:
- Develop detailed plans, specifications, and bid documents for a to-be-determined construction and budget scope
General Scope of Work – Phase 3:
- Assist with completion of MDNR recreation grant applications.
Northfield Township recently received a grant in the amount of $300,000 to be used for paths and parking at the Community Park. These preliminary design plans are to help determine placement of the trails within the park, parking lots, and entrance(s) into the park. Detailed plans (including amenities, equipment, structures, etc.) will be determined at a later date.
Anybody wishing to comment on the preliminary design plans can do so by completing the comment sheet here, answering the following questions:
- Are you a Northfield Township resident?
- Which aspects of the preliminary design concepts would you like to see incorporated at the Community Park?
- Which aspects of the preliminary design concepts would you not like to see incorporated at the Community Park and why?
- Additional Comments:
Please submit your comments to the Board of Trustees. Comments can also be dropped off at the township office at the counter or in either of the 24-hour drop boxes. We are extending the date for submission of comments through Tuesday, January 11, 2022.
The Northfield Township Parks and Recreation Board will be holding a Special Meeting on Tuesday, January 4, 2022. This meeting will be to review the final draft of the preliminary Community Park design and approve the preliminary design plan for recommendation to the township board. The Northfield Township Board of Trustees will vote on approval of the preliminary design plan at their Tuesday, January 11, 2022 regular board meeting.