Upcoming Highway Construction - I-96 Flex Route & US-23 Flex Route Extension
Road Construction Advisory - I-96 Flex Route & US-23 Flex Route Extension
I-96 Flex Route: MDOT began construction of a Flex Route on 1-96 on March 21, 2022. Construction is expected to be completed in 2024. The I-96 Flex Route will run from Kent Lake Road to the I-275/I-696/M-5 interchange and will consist of intermittent shoulder use and ramp metering at eight ramps within the project limits. The system will post variable speed advisories and traveler information using electronic message boards. The median shoulders will be rebuilt to be used as an additional lane during peak travel periods, special events, maintenance activities, and incidents/crashes. The I-96 Flex Route is part of the Rebuilding MI bond program focused on state highways and bridges that are critical to our economy and carry the most traffic.
Project Details include:
- Installation of an Active Traffic Management System (Flex Lane) from Kent Lake Road to I-275/I-696/M-5 interchange, including:
- ITS equipment to allow part-time peak-period median shoulder use, provide traffic warnings and advisory speeds and assist in incident management
- Ramp metering at 8 entrance ramps to help reduce congestion and improve travel time reliability and safety by breaking up entering traffic platoons
- 7 crash investigation sites along the outside shoulder to assist in clearing incidents
- Full reconstruction of all lanes and shoulders of I-96 from Kent Lake Road to approximately 1800’ east of Haggerty in the I-275/I-696/M-5 interchange
- Reconstruction of the ramps at the Milford Road and Novi Road interchanges
- Pavement patching of the ramps at Wixom Road and Beck Road interchanges
- Rehabilitation of the Beck Road Park & Ride lot
- Rehabilitation of 11 bridges and culvert work
US-23 Flex Route Extension: MDOT has also begun planning for Phase 2 of the US-23 Flex Route. The extension will extend from south of M-36 (9 Mile Road) to the I-96/US-23 interchange. Construction is expected to begin on the US-23 Flex Route Extension in 2023.