Township Newsletter - Apr. 2016
Northfield Township News
Spring is here! As the weather gets warmer and the days get longer, our projects are starting to ramp back up.
Here’s what’s happening at our Township Office…
- The DDA was recently approved to begin issuing Redevelopment Liquor Licenses. Currently, all of the Class C liquor licenses for our Township are in use. The Redevelopment Liquor License allows the DDA to recommend issuance of new liquor licenses for businesses located within the DDA District, above and beyond the Class C licenses the state allows. Businesses interested in applying for a Redevelopment Liquor License should contact the Township office for details and regulations.
- The Downtown Planning Group is looking for volunteers. The main focus of this group will be to create a Downtown Master Plan, and develop projects and goals to create a unified vision for our downtown. Submit letters of interest to the Twp Manager, Howard Fink AND DDA Chair, Barb Griffith. Call 734-449-2880 for more information.
- The Parks & Recreation Commission recently went before the Board of Trustees with a proposal to formally authorize them as the Township Parks and Recreation Board, which was approved. Included in this was an allocation of $10,000 to be put toward improvement/maintenance of existing projects, as well as the development of new projects and programs.
- Speaking of Parks & Recreation projects, next on the list is the development of a Community Garden. This is intended for residents to have an area to grow their own fruits and vegetables using raised beds. In addition, we are planning on having a plot that will be used to grow foods to donate to local food pantries. The Community Garden will be located across from the Community Center on Main Street. Please contact the Township Manager for more information 734-449-2880 ext. 12
- Northfield Township will once again be hosting a Washtenaw County Clean-up Day. This is an opportunity for Washtenaw County residents to get rid of some of those items you just aren’t sure what to do with: old furniture and appliances, car batteries, paint cans, tires, etc. Also, new this year there will be a prescription drug take-back vendor on-site. This event will be held on Saturday, June 11 behind the Public Safety Building. Mark your calendar, and help us keep our township clean!
- This is an election year for our Township Board. Candidates who wish to be included on the August Primary ballot must file their nominating petitions and Affidavits of Identity with the Clerk’s office by 4:00PM on April 19, 2016. Please contact the Clerk’s office for more information.
- The Northfield Township Government Office is now on Facebook. “Like” our page to get up-to-date notifications about what’s happening in our community. You can also sign up for our free e-mail newsletter. Visit www.twp-northfield.org or sign up at the Twp. office.
We value your opinion and we want to hear from you! Our Board members and Planning Commissioners are here to speak and work for the entire community, but we can’t do that if we don’t hear from you. Please join us each month at our Township meetings and voice your opinions. The Board of Trustees meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month, and the Planning Commission meets on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays. As always, feel free to contact us at the Township office for additional information. The Board of Trustees is working diligently to make Northfield the best community in Washtenaw County.